The Clayoquot Ventures Fishing Philosophy
In the end, a great day of fishing isn’t just about the catch. Yes, it’s great to have something to grill up for dinner, no arguments there, but spending a day on the water with family, friends or colleagues can be one of the most rewarding and interesting experiences you can have on your holiday.
Our fish stocks are a natural resource that we all should have access to and that we all should do our part to protect. The regulations set by DFO and the Ministry of Environment are there to ensure fish stocks are maintained, not just for years to come, but for generations to come. Clayoquot Ventures respects and follows these regulations. As well, through our involvement with the Federal Government’s Sport Fish Advisory Board, and the Sport Fishing Institute of B.C., Clayoquot Ventures continues to be a strong advocate for the rights of recreational anglers on behalf of all charter operators and weekend anglers of the west coast of Vancouver Island. To compliment this, we also contribute to numerous Fish Habitat restoration projects of the Tofino Salmon Enhancement Society, Trout Unlimited, Parksville Fish and Game Club, and the Pacific Salmon Foundation. Our staff has spent countless hours volunteering in the Tofino, Parksville, Nanaimo, Victoria and Interior of BC regions doing hands-on maintenance of salmon habitat restoration and enhancement work.
Like many small businesses, we evaluated our carbon footprint and were pleased to learn that all of our Mercury and Yamaha engines meet or were below the Family Emissions Limit (FEL) for the year they were manufactured. Technological advancements in marine engines means that tomorrow’s engines will be even more efficient, and as we replace our equipment, we forecast that we will have reduced our total carbon emissions by as much as 60% within the next two to three years. Other choices we have made include:
- Biodegradable cleaners for the vessels and in our tackle shop
- Using fish tubs rather than disposable fish bags when transporting catch to local processors
- Utilize email whenever possible when communicating with guests, suppliers, industry contacts and within our organization (we reduced office paper by 25% last year)
- Formalized a “turn it off” policy for unnecessary lights and equipment when not in use
Like you, Clayoquot Ventures is taking steps each day to be responsible for our impact on the environment and to reduce our consumption of resources.
Other people’s views on fishing we tend to agree with…..
“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau
“The best time to go fishing is when you can get away". Rober Travers
“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once." Lee Wulff
“The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." Patrick F. McManus
“Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl." Ernest Hemingway
“The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work." David Stempko
“Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time." Author unknown
Our Community Support
We believe that we each need to do our part to “give a little something back”. Clayoquot Ventures Guide Service and Clayoquot Vista Guesthouse are proud to have been able to contribute to the following Community and Industry organizations over the years.
- BC Children’s Hospital
- Canuck Place
- Children’s Miracle Network
- Cops for Cancer – Tofino
- Oceanside Minor Hockey Association
- Pacific Rim Fish and Game Club
- Pacific Rim Whale Festival
- Parksville & District Chamber of Commerce Auction
- Parksville/Qualicum Beach Fish and Game Club
- Port Alberni Minor Hockey Association
- Sport Fishing Institute of BC
- Tofino’s Canada Day Fireworks
- Tofino Parks and Rec - Multi Use Path
- Tofino Legion Fishing Derby
- Tofino Salmon Enhancement Society
- Ucluelet Secondary School
- West Coast Multiplex Society
- Wickaninnish Elementary School